As a group of Muslim women organizers, we have compiled a list of questions from our various discussions with Muslim activists on concerns regarding the Countering Violent Extremism (CVE) programs in the country, and their explicit focus on Muslim American communities.
We will also be updating this page to include a list of articles and resources to better understand CVE. In order to follow this discussion, please follow #CVESpeakout online to contribute links, resources, and questions.
Questions for Attendees Re: Countering Violent Extremism Summit (CVE)
By Darakshan Raja, Washington Peace Center, Darakshan@washingtonpeacecenter.org
Dr. Maha Hilal, National Coalition to Protect Civil Freedoms, Maha.Hilal@american.edu
Ramah Kudaimi, Washington Peace Center, RKudaimi@gmail.com
Operational Definitions of Countering Violent Extremism and Extant Research:
- What are the operational definitions of radicalization, extremism, and terrorism that federal, state, and local law enforcement agencies utilize in their programming? On what research is this definition(s) based?
- Are there CVE instruments or at-risk tools that have been piloted and evaluated for effectiveness? If so what are these tools and where have they been piloted? Also, what does effectiveness mean?
- What are the factors that government agencies use to predict individuals’ propensity to commit acts of terrorism?
- What is the relationship between prevalence of terrorism and proportionately of responses from the government?
- What is the government’s justification or rationale, for suggesting a different set of factors as cause for Muslims committing acts of terrorism? On what research is this based?
- How does the government justify differential policy changes based on perpetrator identity?
- Is there data available on the effectiveness of previously implemented CVE programs in preventing terrorism that includes a cost-benefit analysis?
CVE Funding, Test Site Determination, and Program Monitoring:
- How are CVE programs funded? Where is the funding coming from?
- How are CVE program recipients identified?
- Are there oversight mechanisms built into these CVE programs? Is there an independent community entity responsible for monitoring the program?
- How does this impact policing for Muslim communities and other local communities?
Rights Preservation and CVE:
- Will the new CVE programming focus on preservation of first amendment rights? To what extent, if any, are first amendment rights of Muslims and Muslim Americans discussed in the realm of CVE programming?
- To what extent, if any, are CVE measures discussed in terms of how freedom of religious may be undermined as a result of these measures?
- How should recipients of CVE programs interpret apparent violations of the establishment clause vis-à-vis such measures (i.e. focusing on one particular religious group)?
Educational Resources with Links to Documents